When implementing rental property upgrades, incessantly it might be no sweat to resort to the television shows where you study individuals buying and flipping homes in an immediate, seasoned, and opportune fashion. Yet giving it your best shot to mimic the precedent of a flip-home reality show can be high-priced and stir up enhancements that are not needed or lessen the appeal of the home if they are not brought off correctly. Because as property investors we zoom in on renting out to residents and not to sell the home, it is momentous to keep in mind the importance of making your investment long-term tenable and satisfactory for your local market. See in your mind’s eye your renters walking into a poorly executed renovation. Consider what rental property upgrades need expert attention vs. something that you can do yourself.
At this moment in time, we ask ourselves the big question: if I should not be “flip-styling” my properties, what updating do I need to make? As we look further into home renovations, the key is to find the top 20% of upgrades to your home that will add 80% of the value. As we look deeper, the main finding is that renovations tend to be more cosmetic, less complex, and cheaper in nature.
Increasing Visual Appeal
The central step in discharging rental property upgrades based on your market is to focalize on two key areas:
- Outside “Curb Appeal”
- Inside “Home Visualization”
Outside Curb Appeal
If you are renting out a single-family home, you may aspire to focus on the yard or garden first. The right rental property upgrades can encompass:
- Include gravel and rock walkways
- Add plants that are drought tolerant
- Reduce total grass lawn space with rock landscaping
- Prevent weeds from growing by using mulches in garden beds and around borders
- Make the path to the front door clear and clutter free by removing any litter
- Keep the lawn mowed and edged
- Consider adding a potted plant to your front porch
- Repaint areas of chipped paint or sunspots
- Replace and fill in cracked sidewalk or driveway
- Add privacy fencing and outdoor living areas
To care for your Capitol Hill property from the outside and preserve the general visual magnetism, have in mind who will do the servicing of the lawn and landscaping. You could do it yourself, hire a professional service (while factoring the cost into the rent), or you could require the resident to do it.
Inside Property Visualization
Citing rental property upgrades from the inside of the property, it is high-priority to help the residents when they are contemplating renting from you to help them envisage themselves lodging on your property. Some things you can do that have the greatest return on value include:
- Stage the rental property with décor – this can help renters visualize living in the home as the space won’t be so sterile.
- Clean up clutter and deep clean – Hire professionals so appliances, windows, bathrooms, and floors sparkle.
- Have a property management company set up quality services to address your resident’s concerns, and perform timely repairs such as fixing leaky toilets, broken microwaves, and temperamental dryers.
- Apply fresh paint, floor coverings, and window dressing. Make sure that the paint you use is not bold or bright as lighter neutral colors can have a better effect on the mood and style of your property.
- Add blinds to your windows.
Sort out your Capitol Hill rental property as though it is your home by managing, upgrading, and taking good care of your home as a place that you yourself would feel contented living in. Not only is it consequential to exert livable rental property upgrades, but also to find the residents that will handle your property with the attention it deserves.
Would you like a free assessment of your Capitol Hill rental property from Real Property Management DC Metro? Contact us online or call us at 202-269-0303 today!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.